The US Mint Facilities
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Mint Sets and other Coin Collecting topics.
Is there a difference between coins which come from different US mint facilities?
There are six US mint facilities total, located in the following cities: Washington DC, Philadelphia, West Point, Fort Knox, Denver, and San Francisco. Because each of these US mint facilities perform a specific function, you may find some coins only come from certain locations.
- The Washington DC US Mint facility handles everything from the policies of the US Mint to the marketing and research and development.
- The Philadelphia US Mint facility handles the sculpting engraving process for US coins as well as the production of general circulation coins.
- The Denver US Mint facility handles Congress backed commemorative coins as well as the production of general circulation coins. This facility also stores silver and gold bullion.
- The San Francisco US Mint facility produces silver proof sets as well as Congress backed commemorative coins.
- The West Point US Mint facility produces all the uncirculated and proof silver bullion coins and American Eagle gold bullion and platinum bullion coins.
- The Fort Knox US Mint facility stores US gold bullion.