The Silver Proof vs.The Silver Bullion American Eagle
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Silver Eagles and other Coin Collecting topics.
What is the difference between the silver proof and silver bullion American Eagle?
Trying to distinguish the difference between the silver proof and the silver bullion version of the American Eagle? There are a number of differences in the two coins which affect its appearance, value, and purpose. To decipher all differences, read this quick guide.
- The Silver Bullion American Eagle is a bullion coin, authorized by Congress. The primary purpose of this coin is for investors to add a physical amount of silver to their portfolios.
- Silver Bullion coins are not available to the general public through the U.S. Mint. Instead, the U.S. Mint authorizes a select number of dealers to purchase the Silver Bullion coins.
- The Silver Proof American Eagle is also a bullion coin, but it is intended for collectors to hold onto rather than as an investment piece.
- You can only obtain the Silver Proof version in a one ounce version, while the Silver Bullion version comes available as a one ounce, half ounce, quarter ounce, and one-tenth ounce piece.
- The Silver Proof goes through a minting process which gives it a full strike appearance and brillance.